Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Great Mediator: Paying off our Spiritual Credit Cards

 
 When I was 18, I got my first credit card. And if you automatically just cringed a little, that's good. I was so determined that I was going to be responsible with it. I was ONLY going to use it for what I needed and then immediately pay it off. I knew that I could do it, and I wasn't worried at all. Naturally, my parents were a little more apprehensive than I was. 
 Well, it wasn't too long before I found some pretty great uses for my credit card. I really LOVED those shoes, and I couldn't live without that new dress. Of course, going out to lunch with my friends was a must, especially because I hadn't seen them in what seemed like so long. Before I knew it, I had racked up a bill I couldn't pay by myself. When the bill came, I found myself paying the minimum I could, and my head was running with stress. Thankfully I had the sense to go to my parents, and they knew what to do. 
 My parents paid the bill, and then set some conditions so that I could pay them back, and with some effort, I was able to do just that. 
 Every time I think about this experience I think of my Savior Jesus Christ. I could have gotten into a lot more trouble here, had I not had a loving mediator who was willing to extend mercy to me, in my time of need. The same happens in our spiritual lives. 
 We often rack up a debt of sin, and we are burdened down under a load of unbearable guilt and shame. Thankfully, when the creditor comes to demand the justice on our debt, we have a mediator who is there to save us from our despair. President Boyd K. Packer said,
 "By eternal law, mercy cannot be extended unless there be one who is both willing and able to assume our debt and pay the price and arrange the terms for our redemption."
 And how thankful I am that redemption is possible, and available. As we are swallowed in a circle of self-doubt and despair, there is one who calls the way to everlasting happiness and joy. He beckons us, "You will pay the debt to me, and I will set the terms. It will not be easy, but it will be possible. I will provide a way."
 The way is "Repentance and Baptism", the path is straight and narrow, it may not be easy, but I know it is worth it. I have felt the cleansing power of the atonement for myself, I know it is real, and I know it can help. 
 If you are struggling with a heavy heart, please wait no longer to find the way back to the road of happiness. You are not exempt from the mercy and grace of the Saviors atonement. For more information please contact your local Mormon missionaries, they can help you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment