Wednesday, March 5, 2014

It matters what path you take

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
-Robert Frost

Each of us is on a path. Whether or not it's a good path I cannot say, only you and God can determine that. I can say this though, everyone of us comes into this world beautiful, clean, and full of the light of Christ. We may be born poor or rich, black or white, or maybe even with some medical issues that prevent us from normal daily living, but regardless, we are all born with a spirit designed and created by God. That spirit was created in a life before this one, in Heaven with our Father. He taught us His plan, and we chose to follow, that's why we are here. But what do we do once we get here? Where do we go from day 1? The answer it simple, where do you want to go?

Desire is one of the most powerful things in our lives. It can motivate us to do things that normally we couldn't do! I'll use this example. I used to play basketball, and I was pretty good at it. My dad was my coach all growing up, and he used to just nudge me to practice everyday. "If you want to be a Varsity athlete, you have to do the things [or travel the path] a Varsity athlete does!". I always understood the concept, I knew what I needed to do, but I just didn't really want to do it. I had other things on my mind, things to do, places to see, people to 'meet up' with. I chose a different path, and because of that I'm not a WMBA basketball player today. 
Remember the movie Alice in Wonderland? There is a scene in which Alice comes to a road that has been diverged. Then suddenly, the mysterious Cheshire Cat appears. And she asks him, "Which path shall I follow?". He responds, “That depends where you want to go. If you do not know where you want to go, it doesn't matter which path you take.” This exchange has an allegorically eternal. We must all choose a path. And like President Monson explains, "Unlike Alice, we all know where we want to go, and it does matter which way we go, for by choosing our path, we choose our destination."

The path is not always easy. Repentance is not always easy, but, if you want to live with Jesus Christ someday, you have to do what disciples of Jesus Christ do. The Lord has commanded us, "And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God." (3 Nephi 11:38). If we choose today not to follow the path of a disciple of Jesus Christ, we can never arrive at a Celestial destination. We get to choose, and the choice is before us right now. 

The Doctrine of Christ is simple, and it is eternal. Our Purpose, is to exercise Faith in Jesus Christ, Repent, be Baptized by someone holding the Priesthood Authority of God, and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. But the path doesn't end there. We must hold on, we must not retreat. We must Endure faithfully. 

Living a life for the Lord isn't always easy. Sometimes it's lonesome, and sometimes exhausting, but I testify that it is worth it. As Elder Holland states, "How can expect it to be easy for us, when it was never ever easy for Him? I am convinced," He continues, "That [this] work is not easy because salvation is not a cheap experience." In essence, we get what we pay for. The Savior did all for us, and now he asks that we follow in His way. 

We all must choose our path. And we must live with our choice, forever. "Choose you this day whom ye will serve." Joshua advises. This day, not some other day, but today. I want to reemphasize what President Monson said, "by choosing our path, we choose our destination." My humble plea is that we will all choose the path that leads to an Heavenly destination.

I took the PATH less traveled by, 
And that has made all the difference.

What will you choose? 


No comments:

Post a Comment